3.10.2012

Sweet Saturday: Rhoda's Hot Fudge Sauce

hotfudge

First, excuse my sub-par photograph.  It's dark out, and I use a tiny point and shoot digital camera... not my first choice, but it's what I have.

ANYWAY

It's Saturday, which is usually the day I spend cooking something random.  Today it was this hot fudge recipe.  I've made it before, especially during christmas when it becomes a great gift.  My excuse for  today is that my niece is coming over and just wanted to make it.  Yah know.  Good reasons.

This recipe is fantastic.  It isn't healthy for you, but it's fantastic.   It's silky, extremely sweet, and thick, exactly what I want on top of my frozen yogurt.  Come on!  I have to be somewhat healthy, right?

Anyway. Make this and enjoy it.  You'll never buy hot fudge out of a squeezy bottle again.

Rhoda's Peppermint Hot Fudge Sauce (The Kitchn.com)


Yields 4 cups

2 cups unsweetened cocoa powder
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 cups brown sugar
1/4 teaspoons Kosher salt
2 cups heavy cream
1 cup unsalted butter, cut into pieces
2 teaspoons peppermint extract (substitute vanilla, if you don't want the mint flavor)

Directions: In a double boiler over medium heat stir in cocoa, sugars and salt. Add the cream and butter. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until the butter is melted and the sauce comes together and is smooth and glossy. Bring to a boil for 1 minute. Then, remove the bowl from the heat and let cool for 5 minutes. Stir in the peppermint extract. Store in the fridge and re-heat when ready to use. 


NOTE:  I do not use peppermint extract in mine.  I prefer the simple flavor of chocolate.  Therefore, I take the vanilla extract route.  Honestly, I think you could use any extract of your choice and it would be delicious.  

Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. I'm kind of surprised that you don't flavor it with peppermint. It sounds yummy though. Makes me think of Christmas.

    ReplyDelete