2.18.2012

Grandma's Red Cake

Marilyn's Engagement Photo
My Grandmother's Engagement Photo

In honor of my Grandparent's 56th wedding anniversary, I thought I'd share one of my favorite recipes: my Grandmother's red cake.  This is one of those recipes that she HAS to make every year around christmas.  Yes, everyone has their own red velvet cake recipe that they swear is so awesome, but this one wins in my humble opinion.  It is a little denser than other red velvet cakes, heartier in a way.  Usually she uses a buttercream frosting instead of the one that the recipe calls for.  I prefer it that way.    
 Enjoy!


Red Cake
Cream: 1/2 cup of shortening, 1 1/2 cup of sugar, 2 eggs.

Make Paste of: 2 oz. of red color, 2 tablespoons of cocoa, 1 teaspoon of vanilla, and a pinch of salt.

Add: 2 1/4 cups of sifted flour and paste mixture to creamed mixture.

Add: 1 cup of buttermilk*, and 1 teaspoon of soda dissolved in 1 tablespoon of vinegar.

Bake at 350 degrees, layers 30 minutes or bundt pan at 40-50 minutes.
The pan should be well greased and floured. Let the cake cool in the pan no longer than 30 minutes, then remove.
Red Cake Icing

Make paste and cook until it is very thick: 5 tablespoons of flour, 1 cup of milk, and let it cool.

Cream: with mixture, 1 cup of sugar, 1 cup of margarine, and 1 teaspoon of vanilla. 

Combine the two mixtures and mix well.

Make a very thick paste, let it cool completely and beat it in small amounts at a time to the sugar and margarine mixture. The margarine should be room temperature.

No comments:

Post a Comment